Build once, run everywhere.
A simple yet great looking interface and content define a Smart TV app with the only aim: to give the perfect connected device experience.
The Smart TV Alliance platform has a built-in browser which supports the technology as aligned in the Alliance. All products that support the Smart TV Alliance's specifications will be able to run your App *. By using the SDK and guidelines that you can download from this webpage, you can build, create and test your App. Once you're done, you can submit the App on the specific Vendor app submission portals, more details below.
Download SDK 2.5
Smart TV Alliance SDK 2.5 provides valuable tooling to quickly develop
your Smart TV Alliance App for Smart TV Alliance specification versions
2.5 and 2.0. It consists of the following parts:
- Other documentation regarding the Smart TV Alliance ecosystem:
guidelines and requirements, API reference and platform specification
SDK software, a package for one of the supported operating systems. The
- Smart TV Alliance emulator for testing your app, including video
streaming emulation and multiscreen emulation (DIAL)
- advanced (remote) debugging tooling based on Webkit inspector
- an Eclipse IDE for creating your app
- Smart TV Alliance 2.5 and 2.0 self-compliance checking tooling,
validation (new in specification version 2.5)
- Multiscreen example applications for IOS and Android - note that to
release multiscreen applications on Smart TV Alliance platforms, a
specific DIAL application name registration for the Smart TV Alliance is
required, the exact procedure will be made available soon
- Example Apps, which show a wide range of possibilities
The SDK runs on the following platforms:
- Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8
- Mac OS X 10.5+ (X86/AMD64 only)
- Ubuntu 10+
Exact system requirements are noted in the documentation.
For more information, and to download the SDK, please register first using the SDK Registration Form. If you have already registered, you can download the SDK using the login you provided on registration.
Download Smart TV Alliance SDK 2.5.
Download SDK 3.0 Specification
Download Smart TV Alliance Technical Specification 3.0.
Download SDK 2.5 Specification
Download Smart TV Alliance Technical Specification 2.5.
Download SDK 2.0 Specification
Download Smart TV Alliance Technical Specification 2.0.
Download Smart TV Alliance Technical Specification 2.0 Errata.
Widevine API specification
Download Widevine API specification.
Read the Smart TV Alliance FAQ.
If you would like to find out more about becoming a Smart TV Alliance Member, please fill out our Member Interest Registration Form and we will contact you.
* Complete list of products supporting Smart TV Alliance SDK 2.0 specifications will be made available shortly. For interim inquiries, please, contact each manufacturer individually.